Just when you think you are riding high and taking no prisoners. (Yea, I shoulda known) I have discovered a fatal error on my XF551 boards. I believe it affects both versions, modern and original.*
It’s not that it can’t be fixed, but it’s the loss of trust and extra expense I hadn’t counted on that’s going to hurt me most. Not to mention the hassle to my customers. I have posted on AtariAge.com and will try to send notification to those who have purchased via the email used when they purchased.
Any new boards sold will include the fix.
*Update….. At this time it seems to be only affecting the original power supply boards. Possibly a consequence of the anemic power supply design for the original Atari XF551. Anyway some people are reporting the problem, others are not having a problem. To date noone has reported the problem with the modern power supply model.
Since before Guus Assmann released his beautiful 1050 Mega Speedy I have been wanting to design a bezel that would fit the 1050, be as original as possible and be modifyible. It’s not really realistic that the bezel could be mass produced since there is probably only about a thousand or so 1050s that would need something like that and injection molding would still be out of sight cost wise. But I thought that maybe the bezel could be 3d printed on an individual basis with what ever modified design to accomadate the various 1050 external mod controls.
When Guus released the Mega Speedy, he also kicked that project out of the closet and into high gear. Over the last few weeks I have been plugging away, fighting with Solidworks to come up with a prototype design. This is initialy just going to be a vanilla design of the bezel. Once the fit is tweaked and then confirmed, any modifications can be done to the model. Then printed out on a 3d printer.
Wouldn’t you know Murphy would make an appearance. I do have a Flashforge Creator Pro 3d printer. However I have had problems with the dual extruder nozzels. They are not level. As long as I only did small objects that wasn’t a problem, but the bezel is almost at the max of the printer’s build size, so when I go to print, the nozzel that hangs a few hundredths of a mm lower drags across the print area, destroying the build. The set screws controling the level of the nozzels are frozen and not adjustable. I have ordered a replacement nozzel mount and am waiting for it’s arrival.
In the meantime I have decided to release the prototype .stl file. This will allow anyone with a 3d printer to print their own. You need to make sure that your build size is large enough. Dimensions are at least 200mm L X 100mm W Be advised that although I have measured and remeasured, I would be surprised if the bezel is an accurate replacement yet. What would be nice is if you can report back how much off it is.
This is a work in progress so all the dimensions are subject to change. I will be printing a prototype once my printer is up again.